Four Steel Blade Knives W & S Butcher Philadelphia Works Sheffield England c1850
Four Steel Blade Knives W & S Butcher, Philadelphia Works, Sheffield England Circa 1850
Four Steel Blade Knives W & S Butcher, Philadelphia Works, Sheffield Circa 1850
9-3/8 inches. Steel blades, wooden handles.
Each blade is marked: “W & S Butcher / Philadelphia Works / Sheffield”
Occasional light surface rust. See Photos.
W & S. Butcher: This was a Sheffield, England Company in existence from 1819-1859. It specialized in edged tools of all kinds and was a large exporter of bowie knives to America during this time.
“In 1826, William and Samuel launched a new partnership. This was Butcher, Brown & Butcher (with John Brown as the extra man). The firm produced the same range of tools and steel from Eyre Lane and Charles Street. In 1830, that partnership was dissolved and henceforth the firm became ‘William and Samuel Butcher’ (or more simply, ‘W. & S. Butcher’).
Between the 1830s and 1850s, the business expanded steadily, as the Butchers acquired steel-making capacity, workshops, warehouses, and steam grinding wheels in Furnival Street and Eyre Lane. In the 1840s, the brothers also invested in tilting, rolling, and forging capacity at Philadelphia Steel Works, Neepsend, which was close to the River Don.” - - - William and Samuel Butcher: Tool, Cutlery, and Steel Manufacturers of Sheffield by Geoffrey Tweedale. http://www.wkfinetools.com/huk/Butcher/history/hReview/02-History-Butcher.asp